Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Diabolical Biz Markie...

What’s going on everyone, I trust you’re all well and surviving this Swine Flu drama. All’s good here – busy as ever, but still getting things done.

I’ve been meaning to post this for ages, but just hadn’t found the time for whatever reason. Quite a few months back I began work on a canvas I had wanted to paint for years. Basically, while I was still in London I painted a Hip Hop Legend, Biz Markie, (if you don’t know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biz_Markie ) canvas. I completely messed up the composition, and in an effort to compensate for that I ended up thoroughly overworking the painting. While I was pretty happy with the actual Biz Markie likeness, the finished painting just didn’t work and had never been hung.

I’d always wanted to revisit that image, and set about redoing the whole thing. I opted to keep the colours pretty much the same, but switched the composition, and this time worked on a much larger canvas.

It has taken me months to finally finish the artwork, but I’m actually extremely happy with it – it should be noted that between painting and coating the canvas, I had a nightmare moment when I thought I’d ruined the whole thing, which lead me to hours of painstakingly fixing my problems.

Check the picture below (click to see the full painting) of the finished piece hanging in our hallway. It’s a 36” square canvas, entirely hand painted (not stenciled or screen-printed) using acrylics and coated with a gloss varnish.

I have since started work on the next canvas, but at the speed I work I wouldn’t expect to finish it before the end of the year.

Feel free to leave a comment.

All the best,

Mark 563

No comments: